With the seasons changing and temperatures falling it gives us the perfect opportunity to start a cleanse! Personally, my fall cleansing is oriented towards eliminating candida and balancing my intestinal flora which is accomplished by choosing seasonal foods that cook and roast well; such as sweet potatoes, pumpkin, leeks, cabbage, garlic, the entire squash family, etc., and throw them in soups, salad, and used as side dishes.
Check out one of my dairy and gluten free favourite soups to kick off your fall cleanse:
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tbs olive oil and 2 tbs of Earth Balance (vegan and candida friendly) or organic unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion chopped roughly
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- Left over veggies in the fridge i.e., large carrots, celery chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- ½ – 1 can of low sodium organic chick peas
- 3-4 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 tbs of curry paste or 1 ½ tbs of curry powder (paste is preferred)
- ¼ to ½ cayenne pepper
Large pot over medium heat, add olive oil, Earth Balance, onions and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes.
Add enough vegetable stock to cover the carrots, onions, and chickpeas in pot, along with curry paste and cayenne pepper and 1 tsp of sea or kosher salt and bring to boil. Cover and cook while simmering till carrots are fully cooked (about 15 minutes depending on the size).
Fully puree soup and add more stock if needed for a thinner consistency. Spice to your taste!
In addition to cleansing with foods, you could also boost your efforts significantly by pairing this cleanse with exceptional quality supplements that aid in eliminating candida, repair the intestinal tract, provide your digestive system with friendly bacteria, and cleanse the liver. Some of my favourite products used in my practice are:
- Caprylex (Douglas Labs)
- Metabolic Cleanse (Douglas Labs)
- Douglas Labs Detox Packs or Liver G.I Detox (Pure Encapsulations)
- Probiotic 50B (Pure Encapsulations)